- 3 sticks (339 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 4 1/2 cups (572 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the icing-
- 2 cups (250 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons water or milk
- Food coloring
1. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until well-combined and smooth, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the eggs, vanilla, and almond extract and beat until combined. On low speed, slowly add in the flour and baking powder and beat until incorporated.
3. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Place one dough portion between two sheets of parchment and roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Repeat with the remaining portion of dough. Place the two sheets of dough on a baking sheet and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day. You can also freeze for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
5. Remove the dough from the fridge and cut into shapes with a cookie cutter, re-rolling any scraps and cutting more shapes. Transfer the shapes to the prepared baking sheets.
6. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cookies are set and begin to brown. Be careful not to over-bake.
For the icing:
7. In a small bowl, use a fork to beat together all the ingredients except the food coloring. The mixture should be very thick but still pourable.